We spent a total of 32 days in the wonderful country of Mexico. It was a completely positive experience, leaving us with nothing but great memories from an underdog of a country! This post is just a little conglomeration of some notable, useful, or funny factoids from our time in Mexico.
- Total money spent in US dollars: $2,130 = $33/person/day
- Average cost of campsite was $7 per person. Average budget meal from a street vendor or locals restaurant $3. Average local light beer $1.25. Gas $3.80/gallon (fixed price all over Mexico at this time).
- We love the challenge of finding a sweet place to make camp for the night. It has been fun to sometimes plan this out and enter coordinates into the GPS, sometimes using the very handy ipad app iOverlander, and sometimes finding our own place by stumbling upon it or asking around. And hey, when all else fails, we are incognito, and can sleep pretty much anywhere we can park!
- 23 nights slept in the 4Runner, 7 nights slept in a hotel or cabana, 2 nights spent in a tent. We prefer Lola, but situations like being in a big city, extreme heat, or not feeling well sometimes call for a room.
|Home sweet home away from home & the comfiest bed we've slept in in Mexico|
- Favorite meals: Chris- aside from Mallary's cooking at camp... tacos pastor & anything with chorizo and cheese. Mallary- street tacos and chips with the many varieties of salsas, especially spicy ones!
|Dutch oven meals are the best|
|ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE!!|
IT SOUNDS SO SIMPLE
I JUST GOT TO GO
THE SUN'S SO HOT
I FORGOT TO GO HOME"